Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time To Get Back and a Modified Focus

I have (once again) slacked at blogging, but I am back with a renewed vigor. 

I am going to change the focus of the blog.  I will continue to use this space to keep track of my workouts and any thoughts I have about them, and I am also going to start keeping track of my diet here.  I am a vegetarian (i.e. I don't eat meat or fish).  I am also trying to gain (good) weight and just generally be healthy. 

During the CrossFit Cert, the instructors presented the Zone Diet as something that has worked for top tier athletes, and they got me interested in it.  In reading about it, I have come to realize that it is a bit of a pain in the ass...at least if you are looking to make instant change from no zone to complete zone.  That sort of change is not going to work for me; so I am going to try to evolve into it over time by trying out recipes here and there until I find a complete diet that works for me.  Additionally, my goals include getting rid of any added processed sugar from the foods I eat as well as getting away from breads and pastas and the like (or at least eating less of these things).  I will post recipes as I try them, and if anyone out there stumbles upon this and has any suggestions, tips, etc. please post comments.

Saturday, January 7th, 2012

1RM Rack Jerks:  #185, #195(f)

My previous regular Jerk PR was 165#.  I'm not sure if this Rack Jerk is in line with that or if it indicates that my Jerk has gone up, but I will hope for the latter.

Tabata Something else: Full Tabata for each exercise, no rest in between exercises besides the normal 10 seconds for 16 minutes of total work.

(352 total reps)
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Sit-ups
Air Squats

Squats and Sit-ups were great.  Pull-ups and Push-ups are the two exercises in which I can improve.  My shoulder didn't pop, which is awesome, but my shoulders aren't strong either.  I just got tired on the push-ups and they required (that is actually the wrong word) more seconds of rest during the 20 second segments of work.  I was probably just being a bit of a baby.  The rest wasn't "required."


Breakfast Shake:

I don't think my breakfast was bad before, but I would like to improve it.  Currently, I eat greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom and 2 hard boiled eggs.  The yogurt has sugar added to it though.  I wanted to keep the eggs and look at making a shake for the mornings.  My breakfast should be fast and easy, and eggs and shakes can be prepared ahead of time.  I modified this shake: I wanted more blocks and I wanted to use greek yogurt because I like it, it has less sugar, more protein, and no risk of gelatin. Also, I wanted more blocks.  This shake along with 2 hard boiled eggs is a 5 block breakfast.

1 cup plain, low fat (just what they had), greek yogurt (1C, 3P)
1 cup Orange/Mango Juice (it was in the fridge) (3C)
2/3 cup fresh blackberries (on sale and will switch to frozen berries as prices change) (1C)
1 1/3 tsp. Canola Oil (should've used a touch more) (4F)

And on the side, 2 hard boiled eggs (2P)

The shake was amazing.  There is a lot of sugar with the fruit, but all of the sugar is just what occurs naturally in the food.  I'm comfortable with it for now, and no sugar is added.  It is easy to make, and it makes about 20 oz. of liquid, which easily fits in my blender bottle.  I should be able to make this the night before and just grab it on my way out the door.

              Cal's    Fats    Saturated    Mono    Poly    Sodium    Carbs    Sugars    Fiber    Protein
Shake    490         23                 4          11        5          105          47          38           6           24

Eggs      142           5                 2                                  140                                                    12

I will try to figure out how to format this in a better way.

I want to thank my wonderful wife.  She has been amazing as I have slowly become obsessed with CrossFit and my diet.  Neither one us knew what CrossFit was when she agreed to marry me, and she has just been totally supportive of my crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment